The major objectives of the Academy, inter-alia, are to:
- promote ecologically sustainable agriculture,
- recognize and promote excellence of individual scientists in the field of agriculture,
- promote interaction among research workers in different institutions and organizations within the country and with the world scientific community,
- organize inter-disciplinary analysis of issues of importance to farmers and farming, and prepare further policies designed to advance agricultural research, education and development
- carry out such activities as are relevant to the accomplishment of the above goals.
- The General Body: The General Body of the Academy is constituted by its Fellows.
- The Executive Council is the main policy and decision making body.
- Statutory Committees have been constituted to deal with various aspects of governance of the Academy.
- Twelve Regional Chapters of the Academy are functioning at Bengaluru, Bhopal, Cuttack, Coimbatore, Hyderabad, Karnal, Kolkata, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Mumbai, Patna and Varanasi.